- Shut Down the Control Units (3/13/2015)
- Build a United Front for Peace in Prisons (3/10/2015)
- Reject the I$raeli Settler State, Support the People of Palestine (1/15/2015)
- We Demand Our Grievances are Addressed in Arizona (12/29/2014)
- We Demand Our Grievances are Addressed in South Carolina (12/04/2014)
- Book Review: Out of Control
- Denied Recreation in Ad-Seg
- Christmas Day Beating to Save Face for CO
- Who's Defining Mental Illness?
- Education is Critical to the United Front
We Demand Our Grievances are Addressed in Californiainitiated in January 2010
updated on April 10, 2014
From a comrade in California:
"I have sent MIM(Prisons) a letter of grievance for use by CDCR prisoners. Its purpose is to petition the Director of Corrections to investigate the purposeful failure of the 602 procedure [California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation grievance process] within CSP-LAC. This is something somebody put together for the general population here on C-yard. It is our intention to flood the Director's office with these petitions in hopes that it will shed some light onto the illegal acts in which these pigs are willing participants. We are being forced to file these petitions due to the unfortunate fact that the vast majority of our 602s are not being filed or properly heard.
"The idea is to distribute this petition to all CDCR facilities and to have as many people sign and mail the petition to the Director's office as possible. Once all parties receive their responses concerning the petition, all responses along with contradictory paperwork should be sent to MIM(Prisons), the Prison Law Office (which is specific to CA), the Office of Internal Affairs, etc. Our goal is to expose CDCR, its administration, and facilities as tools of repression and the lengths that they will go to to cover their crimes."
Prisoners are being recruited to lead this campaign where they are being held. Supporters of prisoners can join this campaign by printing out the petition and sending it to their family members, loved ones, and comrades inside. They can also send letters on behalf of prisoners to the addresses listed.
Spread This Campaign!
If you know someone in a state not currently covered by the grievance campaign who would benefit, they can use the current petitions as a format, but will need to look up citations and policies specific to their state for reference in the petition. If you do this research and send us what needs to be rewritten for your particular state, we will gladly send an edited, accurate copy to other USW and Legal Clinic folks in your state.
You will need to research who to CC: (carbon copy) the letter to for your particular state. The U.$. Department of Justice and Office of Inspector General are the same for all U.$. prisons, but your state's ombudsman and internal affairs officers will be different. The Prison Law Office is a non-profit organization that provides legal support to prisoners facing civil rights abuses, but it is particular to California. If you know of an organization in your state that is similar to this, they should be included on your petition.
Updates/Reports from Inside
- Limit on Number of Grievance Appeals Attacks Prisoner's Legal Rights (April 2014)
- Democracy Denied to Abused Prisoners by CCI Warden (December 2013)
- Update on CA Grievance Lawsuits (December 2013)
- Downloadable Grievance Petititon, California (October 2013)
- Petition Gets Response (June 2013)
- Taking Grievance Petitions to Next Level (April 2013)
- The System Isn't Broken, it Works for the Oppressor (April 2013)
- Grievance Fight Assisted with Citizen Complaint Letters (November 2012)
- Grievance Campaign Progress in California (October 2012)
- Reforming the Reforms (October 2012)
- Grievance Campaign Improving and Growing (July 2012)
- Bringing Grievances to Higher Level Wins Again (June 2012)
- Appeals to Sacramento Politicians Lead to Improvements at KVSP (June 2012)
- Grievance Petition for California Updated (September 2011)
- Grievance Petition Copies Refused in Library (June 2011)
- Downloadable Petition Against Z-Unit Zoo (February 2011)
- Battle at HDSP Gains Official Attention (January 2011)
- Corrupt Grievance System in Private Colorado Prison (December 2010)
- Next Steps for an Effective Grievance Campaign (December 2010)
- No Experience Necessary (December 2010)
- CDCR Tells Prisoner to Sue for Proper Handling of Grievances (December 2010)
- DOJ Likes to Pick Bad Apples (November 2010)
- Victim of Injustice System (October 2010)
- Grievances in Arkansas (October 2010)
- Staff Assault Prisoner, Ignore Grievance (September 2010)
- Wrongful Validation in California Leads to Support for Grievance Campaign (August 2010)
- Testimony - Retaliation for writing grievances (August 2010)
- Legal Tips to Fight Gang Validation in California (July 2010)
- Appeals Denied on Mass Validation (June 2010)
- Obstruction of justice at SCI Muncy (June 2010)
- Repression at RJD (May 2010)
- Address Our Grievances! Campaign Spreads (April 2010)
- DOJ Claims They Will Investigate if Shown Pattern of Abuse (February 2010)
- Petition for Proper Handling of Grievances (January 2010)
- Warden Turns a Blind Eye to Staff Misconduct (January 2010)
- Mail and Other Policy Violations by Prison Staff (January 2010)
- Prisoners Denied Right to Public Records (August 2007)